Daniel Pink 6 Senses Class Site

Friday, November 16, 2012

20% Project Update: Screencasting

I have a powerpoint that I would like to easily convert into a presentation on youtube with my audio lecture recorded. I have investigated some of the screencasting options that were suggested to me by my professor, and I also have researched some on my own. Here are my findings:

Screencasting Research
Screenr and Jing allow you to record for up to five minutes and seem to be very user-friendly.
I didn't like the five minute time constraint, because my powerpoint presentations usually take a little closer to ten minutes for various historical topics. Therefore, I decided to go with Camtasia which is Jing's "older sibling" according to the company website. What I liked about Camtasia is that they offer you a free 30 day trial, and to get it all you have to do is give your e-mail. Some other screencasting options offered free trials, but they involved giving them your credit card number, which I didn't want to do.

Camtasia Tutorials
I received an e-mail from Camtasia that gave me the direct link to the tutorial videos for Camtasia. I watched the first four videos which each averaged about 2 minutes. The first 4 videos are the basics of Camtasia, preparing to record, the actual recording, and the editing options. I also watched the tutorial videos on "smart focus to zoom and pan" and "callouts." The zooming option is similar to what happens on Prezi, but since I am doing a powerpoint, I don't really anticipate using it. What I was excited to discover was the addition of "callouts" which in essence are arrows that can focus on certain aspects of your presentation. I do anticipate using that during my powerpoint lecture. I also watched the "sharing" tutorial which discusses how to share the video through screencast.com, but it shows that one of the options is to share through youtube. I imagine that steps would be similar, so I am excited to see that it seems easy to share the video on youtube once I am done.


2 comments:

  1. Cool stuff! Were the constraints you mentioned due to the "trial" status, or part of of the product's limitations? I've come to like Snagit (by techsmith) for both PC and Mac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The constraints I mentioned seemed to be inherent in the product. Like Jing is free, but only lets you record for five minutes. So if you want more, you need to buy Camtasia, but lucky for me and everyone else, they offer a free 1 month trial version!

      Delete