Daniel Pink 6 Senses Class Site

Monday, September 24, 2012

I want my students to be "knowledge - able"


In the video “Learning in New MediaEnvironments” by Dr. Michael Wesch his point about how media can “use” us was interesting to me. Overall, new media excites me; consequently my mind is conditioned in such a way that considers the negative effects of this new media, as merely an afterthought. For example, on Facebook I noticed a post from an LMU alum to the fact that we could see what was going on at Loyola MarymountUniversity (LMU) in live time. The live video is centered at the heart of campus where many activities occur. Initially my interest was peaked, I clicked the link and saw the live video. But then I just felt like it LMU was losing something special about it, by being constantly on display for all to see. LMU is a small close-knit private Catholic (Jesuit) campus. It contains for me fond memories of my undergraduate career. Although I approve of the video as surveillance for LMU’s Public Safety to use for the well-being and security of the campus, something special is lost.
            As for what this video means to me as an educator, I find myself as wanting to have my students be “knowledge –able” as opposed to “knowledgeable” as Dr. Wesch mentions in his video. This comment struck a cord with me, because it made me remember about a history classroom I was observing in. The class was AP World History and it consisted of a group of sophomore high school students at a public school. One of the students asked the teacher: “Why do we have to learn this stuff?” I imagine this question to be one that regularly surfaces in classrooms, and particularly in history classrooms. I was interested to see how the teacher would respond to this question. I was surprised when the teacher actually asked me if I had an answer to the student’s question. I replied that I did. I explained to the student how I thought it was important to learn about different cultures and histories, not for the mere facts, but rather to foster a sense of understanding and respect for the diversity that is found in our country. I want students to look at history and critically analyze it, to learn from it, so perhaps some historical “mistakes” won’t be repeated. I want my students to think like historians and be ready to deconstruct the biases in primary documents. I Above all, I want students to be critical thinkers.

2 comments:

  1. The "knowledge-able" vs "knowledgeable" distinction stuck out to me as well. I definitely think its more important for individuals to be taught skills (to find facts.) Especially in areas in History where the idea of learning "skills" can be confusing, I think you make a good point that students should learn to critically analyze facts and deconstruct biases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you we as educators need to change the way we are teaching and use the methods that make our students not just know about the world but knowledge-able.

    ReplyDelete