Daniel Pink 6 Senses Class Site

Monday, October 1, 2012

Reflection on Tribes by: Seth Godin


     Initially, I was a little hesitant about listening to an Audiobook. I would consider myself to be more of a visual and kinesthetic learner. Although, I have studied for standardized exams by using Itunes University audio lectures about different historical topics. What I liked the most about listening to the Audiobook version of Tribes by Seth Godin, was that the assignment asked us to tweet out quotes that resonated with us. I think that this part of the assignment gave me the opportunity to engage my preferred visual and kinesthetic learning styles. I was not only able to type out the quotes, but also see my quotes in a column I created within my Tweetdeck (see image to the left). I found this assignment to be an alternative to simply highlighting text in a traditional paper book. Also, it is nice to have the quotes all lined up for me to see, so that at the end of listening to to the Audiobook, I had my quotes in order.
     While listening to the Audiobook, I was forming my potential reflection ideas on the leadership Godin was discussing. Being able to scroll through my quotes from the Audiobook, helped me even further get my thoughts together before writing this blog post. Godin's use of the term "heretic" to describe people who basically go against the status quo and in his view, are usually the types of individuals who demonstrate "authentic leadership." Indeed, Godin even refers to how we are all called to be a heretic, or as he says "post our own 95 theses" like Martin Luther. Some of the branded "heretics" of history have now become individuals studied in history books as viewed as agents of change, ranging from figures like Martin Luther to Martin Luther King Jr. Godin's discussion of "authentic leadership" throughout the Audiobook really kept my attention. My definition of authentic leadership consists of an individual who is a "servant-leader." Indeed, much like Godin's assertion that leaders do not manage, I believe it is the task of a leader to draw out the gifts and talents that are unique to the individuals that they lead.

2 comments:

  1. Heretics are the people who have created the change we see in the world, without them we wouldn't have things invented, etc. I agree that these people demonstrate authentic leadership.

    I too like you am a visual learner and need something in front of me. I found listening to the audiobook was difficult for me, yes it is a different modality but I did not like it as much. But it was good to see something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting quotes that resonated with me on twitter helped me organize the main points. I agree with you on that point. It was also nice to see what others expressed interest in and what they took away from Godin's book tribes.

    I liked how you mentioned how Godin mentions heretics and how that concept is related to leadership. Heretics to me are the ones who are curious and want to bring out change.

    ReplyDelete