Daniel Pink 6 Senses Class Site

Thursday, October 11, 2012

20% Project: Mini Lessons for Niece & Nephew

    During this course I have learned about several different webtools. It seems that there are many options of webtools to use for when it comes to teaching. I am very excited about all of these resources, but I would like to narrow down on the use of one webtool for the purpose of creating mini lessons. I am currently tutoring my niece and nephew. The subject my nephew most struggles with is Spanish (Spanish for Spanish Speakers 1/2), while the subject my niece most struggles with is U.S. History (8th Grade). Luckily, I am a native Spanish speaker and did major in Spanish at LMU. Also, my other major at LMU was History, and my current program for USD is focused on History/Social Sciences. So subject-wise, I feel like our tutoring sessions have been going well. But for my 20% project I would like to use one or two webtools to create online videos that range from 5 minutes to 10 minutes max. I want these videos to supplement the material they learn on a weekly basis, so that it can provide a review from a different lens. If, the videos are as effective as I would like them to be, I've considered notifying their respective teachers, so that the link can be made available to their classmates. I think these videos would be particularly helpful for students who are audio and visual learners. It would be my preference for the videos to have dynamic pictures and graphics and diagrams that help organize the content. My "angle" to also make these videos different than perhaps a bunch of other videos that have been already done, is to relate the content to current events or examples that the students can perhaps better relate to. Then the material will perhaps hold more meaning for them, and therefore be easier for them to grasp it. I look forward to hearing feedback on what type of webtools to use!

9 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea- integrating something that you can use in teaching/tutoring! Very practical, and plus a chance to make it fun for your niece & nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately the only video software/programs I've used are Snagit (for screencasting), the YouTube video editor, and Dragontape.com which splices together previously made YouTube videos. Dragontape could be a cool option though to add some fun clips or current info into your videos though. Buena suerte :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great aunt! What a fun audience to have to try using some technology in a way that is new to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea.. Perhaps that's something we can somewhat collaborate on, since those Video on Demands are what I do for a living and I'm learning a new tool to assist me! Passing on the great knowledge...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will have fun making these videos. Content becomes more interactive and engaging when it is viewed visually and heared, not just read from a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were demoed a product called Voicethread. It can record both audio and video, create presentations and even use a slate to create lessons while you narrate. It may be one of the potential solutions and is definitely worth checking out! : ) Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea! Just think of how beneficial it will be to you and your niece and nephew for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alexis,

    That sounds like a wonderful and thoughtful 20% project. It seems similar to how Khan Academy came to be, Mr. Khan created a series of YouTube videos for his niece who was a couple states away. He wanted to stream it so she (or anybody for that matter) could access educational material for FREE anywhere there was an internet connection. My suggestions for producing things for middle schoolers is to find a common interest and link between their subject matter and current interests and/or prior knowledge. For example, if your niece is into cooking, you might be able to link trade routes with where her favorite cooking products come from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. actually I myself benefit a lot from seeing a 5 to 20 min tutorial on line for issues i don't understand in my studies.
    to make it effective check the way it is done where you will see good and bad totorials

    ReplyDelete