Daniel Pink 6 Senses Class Site

Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Passion in Education

     One of my main passions in education is my belief that as an educator it is my goal to instill in students the tools necessary for them to become critical thinkers. To this effect, I would say that it is my passion to really challenge the "factory-model" in a school, which simply expects students to mechanically produce homework assignments and projects. This is not to say that I don't understand the value of a curriculum that requires certain topics to be covered in a course. I understand that these ramifications are needed to for educators to focus on different topics in the classroom. One day I hope to have a history classroom, that will indeed explore the state-mandated topics. But I would like to have a classroom where the students are able to experience the role of a historian, that is, to be able to analytically look at primary documents. I want my students to be critical thinkers who look at primary documents and secondary documents and understand that these texts are filled with biases. I would like for students to understand history as an important subject to learn, not simply as a series of facts and events. Rather students should understand that history is rooted in a series of stories. It is these stories that change depending on who tells them. Furthermore, in regards to world history, I hope that students are able to connect to the larger message of tolerance for the diversity present within our nation, in our classrooms, schools, and the world.

      If I had to narrow down my passion to a research topic it would be how to teach history in such a way that creates critical thinkers. I would like to further research how to break away from the factory-model type of education to one that challenges the students to do more than simply complete an assignment. The fundamental philosophy that I would rely on for this type of research would come from Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed. The concept behind the research project would be that if a teacher is challenging students to become critical thinkers by analyzing history, much like historians do, then the teacher is stopping the cycle of producing students that are mechanical. Students will no longer be able to get by with just completing an assignment or just copying notes. Rather they will be critical thinkers who would become the authentic leaders that Seth Godin discusses in his book Tribes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alexis,

    I think that all institutions have a responsibility to promote critical thinking by students as an institutional goal. Ashford U. recently invited Dr. Brookfield of Critical Thinking notoriety to give a presentation. It was really interesting and he provides a lot of free content on his website: http://www.stephenbrookfield.com/Dr._Stephen_D._Brookfield/Workshop_Materials.html

    It was interesting that a machine-like university such as Ashford U. would invite presentations on Critial Thinking. I guess it goes to show that even in those conditions, thinking critically can be an end-goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis,

    That is an awesome way to think. I am very happy to know that this is your passion, this is what a teacher should be about. I hope you are hired at a school because our students need someone who isn't doing the same things over and over again, that we create critical thinkers because after all that should be the goal of every teacher.

    ReplyDelete