Daniel Pink 6 Senses Class Site

Friday, October 5, 2012

Results When I Google Searched My Name & My Family's Guacamole Recipe

     When I read the assignment prompt asking us to "Google" ourselves, I thought that on the first try I would surely get some results that pertained to me. I was quickly disappointed when I realized that even though I have made strides in developing my professional learning network (PLN), it is apparent that my work is far from done. My initial Google search was of just my name "Alexis Mendoza", this is actually a very popular name so I got a plethora of results that didn't pertain to me specifically. The image is below:

    I decided that my next Google search should be more specific and I did actually get results that were connected to me directly. The Google search terms I typed in were: "alexis mendoza blogspot educ 578."


As you can see, this blog comes up as the second result, although I did of course use a very specific string of search terms. I must admit, that I was simultaneously disappointed that my professor's twitter account came up before my actual blog! I assumed that the specific search terms would surely yield my blog as the first result, but that was not the case. Lastly, I decided to search my professional "online handle" that I have begun to develop which is "amendo6". I found that this resulted in my twitter account coming up as the second top result. I was intrigued to see that my Quizlet account was actually the first result to be yielded from the Google search.
As for my status as a resident or a visitor online, I still feel that I am developing more into a resident. I was happy to see that my blog and twitter came up as results in Google, even if they needed more specific Google search terms. I was also pleasantly surprised to see my Quizlet account came up as a result for the "amendo6" Google search. I think Quizlet is a great educational tool whether it is used by a teacher, student, tutor, and/or parent. I have personally used it to help my my niece study for history exams. I have also explored some of the stacks of flashcards already made for my own studying. I am becoming more of a resident online, but I do know that I must continue to challenge myself to travel further down the resident spectrum, rather than reverting to more of the visitor side of the spectrum. That being said, I just reminded myself to have my Tweetdeck running in the background in an effort to stay up to date on various educational topics.

Since this blog post really forced me to consider my online presence, PLN, and the concept of being a resident; I have decided to share a bit more about myself. I am culturally Mexican, with both my parents being born and raised in Tijuana, Mexico. Food and family are two very important things in my daily life, and that being said, I have decided to share my family's guacamole recipe (since I just made some). Please note that you will find no exact measurements of any kind in this recipe. The way we are taught to cook in my family is you kind of just adapt the recipe to your particular liking. So if you like more or less of something, you just adapt it. Tasting throughout the process is key!

Alexis' Family Recipe for Guacamole:

  • Sliced Avocados
  • Chopped Tomatoes
  • Chopped Cilantro
  • Chopped Onions
  • Lime or Lemon Juice
  • Salt & Pepper


1. First cut open the avocados, then slice them, and put them into a bowl. As you put them into the bowl, be sure to periodically squirt a little lemon/lime juice (this will keep it from getting brown and it gives the guacamole good flavor).
2. Add the chopped onion and tomatoes.
3. Add the chopped cilantro.
4. Using a spoon stir the guacamole until it becomes the desired texture.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add lemon/lime juice to taste.
Here's a picture of what my guacamole looks like, my family seemed to approve of the taste!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a bit more of yourself (and your recipe) with us! :)

    ReplyDelete